Greenville Council of Garden Clubs, Inc.

   The Greenville Council of Garden Clubs, Inc. is a 501-C3 federated Council of the Garden Club of South Carolina, Inc. and the National Garden Clubs, Inc. It is comprised of 12 garden clubs from Greenville County, SC with approximately 400 members. The Council was organized August 21, 1950.

In 1974 the Council acquired the historic 1838 Kilgore-Lewis House to operate as its headquarters. The house is located on 5.43 acres at 560 N. Academy Street, Greenville SC.  The property is zoned as a City Park and is supported, in part, by the City of Greenville Department of Parks, Recreation, and Tourism. In 2019 the grounds were accredited as the Level 1  GCGC Urban Arboretum. The Arboretum is a diverse collection of primarily native trees that is open daily to the public free of charge. 

The Council provides scheduled guided tours of the Kilgore-Lewis House.  The grounds are open daily for self-guided tours. Pre-arranged Arboretum tours are available on request. Each year the Council has a two day garden tour of homes in Greenville County. The Kilgore-Lewis House is highly decorated for two weeks during the December holiday period and open for extended hours. All tours are free to the public with donations requested to maintain the historic Home and Arboretum.

The KLH and Urban Arboretum are used by the member Clubs as a centralized location for meetings and activities. Educational events are offered throughout the year by Council members to benefit its members, the Greenville community and visitors to the area.