2018 Upcoming Summer Events
** Garden Club of SC Summer Meeting in Columbia is Saturday, July 14 (Several area going from Greenville, come with us!)
Our State Garden Club Summer Meeting will be held at the Ebenezer Lutheran Church in Columbia from 9am to 2pm on Saturday, July 14. Join us for fun, fellowship and food- an endless “grazing” buffet. Meet your District Directors, talk to Committee Chairmen, learn about state garden club projects. Meet President Donna Donnelly, and other GCSC officers as well.
A highlight of our meeting will be a live enactment of the book My Forever Home written by Melissa Moody, a member of the Yellow Jessamine Garden Club. Performing are “human sized birds” from her garden club.
We will have vendors that are garden club members. Sally Handley, mystery writer with a gardening flair, from Simpsonville Garden Club will be selling her books which have been highly rated on Amazon and written up in our Spring 2018 issue of the SC Gardener.
Award winning Artist Terry Newman from Azalea Garden Club in Sumter recently won Best in Show in GCSC’s Juried Art Contest. Also from Azalea GC is Betty Reese who will have her lovely terrarium gardens for sale. Betty is also a member of Manning GC.
We are again offering workshops to attend. A new one is on how to submit an Art Award. We had a huge response with many excellent submissions for past season’s Art Awards. Come learn some tips and procedures. If you’re an artist or photographer and would consider entering next year, this is the workshop for you! President Donna Donnelly will be presenting NGC awards to the winners.
Registration: There is no charge for this event – it is a gift to our hard-working, dedicated garden club members. However, we ask that you register on the Eventbrite website so that we may get an accurate count for food and refreshments. You must have an Eventbrite ticket in order to attend. We are limited by the size of the Church as to how many attendees we can admit, so please register early! Directions to the church are on the Eventbrite website. If you have any problems registering or need additional information, contact Dee LeMay at 864-328-9723. Please click on the “Register Here” button on our website at gardenclubofsc.org.
2018 Upcoming Fall Events
** State GC Fall tour to Mt Vernon & Montecello October 9-12 from Columbia See itinerary and details below…several are going from Greenville, come with us!
**Fall Plant Sale Saturday, October 13 at the Kilgore Lewis House
**Game Day Fundraiser Monday, October 22 at the Kilgore Lewis House
The Greenville Council of Garden Clubs Presents
“A Game Day Fund Raiser”
Come enjoy a day of Bridge or Bunco with your friends!
Monday October 22nd 2018 ~ 10a.m. -3p.m. Kilgore-Lewis Home
Tickets $20 per person or $80 for a table of 4
A Light Coffee & Lunch are included ~ Prizes, Silent Auction, 50/50 Raffle So Much Fun!
Please make checks payable to: The Greenville Council of Garden Clubs (GCGC)
C/O Margaret McCarter, Game Day Chair, 560 Academy Street Greenville, SC 29601
Deadline: October 18th 2018! Your Check is your guaranteed reservation & receipt.
Please list your info and the names of your friends at your table:
Any questions please call Margaret McCarter (864)-275-0324 or Alecia Elrod at 864-915-0283 Space is limited! *Invite friends who may not be club members or who are former club members so they can see how much fun we have! This can be a recruiting event for your club!
SCGC October Tour details October 9-12 Coach tour from Columbia
Garden Club of South Carolina, Inc. Invites You On A Wonderful Garden Experience!! Visiting George Washington’s Mount Vernon ~ The U.S. Botanic Garden, DC ~ Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello
Trip Date: October 9 – 12, 2018 Your 4 Day/ 3 Night Trip Includes:
- 3 Nights Hotel Accomodations ~ 2 Nights in a DC area hotel plus 1 Night in Charlottesville
- 3 Breakfasts at your Hotel
- 2 Dinners to include a wonderful Dinner at the Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant
- Lunch included in one of Virginia’s Historic Landmark ~ Michie’s Tavern, ca 1784 Experience an historical journey which recreates 18th-century tavern life.
- Visit the Beautiful U.S. Botanic Garden ~ The U.S.Botanic Garden is a museum with a difference – our artifacts are the living treasures of the world.
- Admission to George Washington’s Mount Vernon Estate ~One of the nation’s most beloved historic sites. Visit the Mansion, Ford Orientation Center, historic area, Distillery & Gristmill. We will plant a tree in honor of Ann Pamela Cunningham from Laurens, SC, who in 1853 challenged the women of the entire nation to save the deteriorating mansion. She organized the Mt. Vernon Ladies Association and raised $200K to purchase Mt. Vernon.
- Enjoy the Gardens and Groves Tour ~This guided tour examines Washington’s brilliant design for the grounds at Mount Vernon. Visit the gardens he envisioned, see some of the original trees that are still standing, and learn how he merged areas for work and leisure to create a master plan for his beloved home.
- Visit to Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello ~Explore Jefferson’s lifelong interest in gardening, botany and agriculture, while enjoying the beauty and variety of Monticello’s restored flower and vegetable gardens, grove and orchards! Take a 45-min walking tour, of historical background, plant identification, and stories about the gardens along the way, a tour of the first floor of the House and more…
- Enjoy a Meet & Greet with a Light Guided Tour of Washington ~ Enjoy a Guided Overview of Washington DC this evening.
- Standard Taxes, Meal Gratuities & Baggage Handling
- Deluxe Motor Coach Transportation
For Information and Reservations, Contact Nancy Rayner email@example.com
Price: $599 Per Person – Double Occupancy $75 deposit due with reservation, balance due July 1, 2018
Travel Protection: Travel Protection can be purchased at $79.00 per person – Double Occupancy. If you wish to purchase Travel Protection, please send in a separate check made payable to: PML Travel & Tours. Travel Protection should be purchased at the time of your initial deposit to ensure full benefits. Travel Protection Premium is “non-refundable” once paid.
Generally the Kilgore-Lewis House will close when weather closes the public schools in Greenville. However, there are times when icing on our property exceeds other areas in the city and other days when we “clear up” more quickly. In cases of inclement weather, please call Kilgore-Lewis House (864.232.3020) before risking dangerous driving conditions or a personal slip and fall to attend a meeting or event at the Kilgore-Lewis House.